Friday, October 16, 2015

Mystory VI

Entertainment Discourse (Ulmer 127)


For this section Ulmer ask us to write about a memory of a movie, TV show or book from our childhood. I've decided to write on the movie The Mask of Zorro, which was one of my favorite movies when I was around five or six years old. The movie begins with Zorro rescuing several people from being killed by the command of the corrupt governor of that region. The governor discovers Zorro's identity and has him arrested. A fight ensues and Zorro's wife is killed and his daughter kidnapped by the governor. Zorro is then imprisoned for many years before escaping. He then meets an alcoholic named Alejandro, who's brother was killed by an army captain who is also an accomplice of the governor. The now aged Zorro helps Alejandro become sober and trains him to become the new Zorro. The rest of movie follows them as they seek to stop the plans of the governor and captain. In the end they both avenge the deaths of their loved ones. I mainly liked The Mask of Zorro because of the sword fighting. It was one of just a few of movies I had seen with the sort of sword fighting characterized by intricate, high energy moves. It was that sort of skilled dueling that fascinated me. I tend to be a perfectionist and I think that's part of the reason why it interested me so much. My mom even made me a Zorro mask that I would wear with a makeshift cape. I liked the idea of good defeating evil with skill and dexterity. However, I remember the one time I had the opportunity to show my "skill", I didn't. My mom had just helped me into my mask and cape and I ran to the back yard to defeat evil. I was out there for a few minutes when all of the sudden a man dressed in, as I remember, black and white prison clothes, jumped over the fence, ran across the yard, looked at me (who was stunned stone) and jumped the fence on the other side. I quietly walked back inside an informed my parents that someone just ran though our yard. Even as I was telling them, we saw a police car slowly passing our house. I remember speaking to the police and them giving me a star badge pin for my help. Later my parents jokingly said I scared him off with my mask. I didn't believe them.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you did, though. We can hope so at least! Thankfully he ran away. I like the idea that sword fighting is something a perfectionist would do. I have never thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad he ran off for sure! Yeah, fencing and sword fighting always seemed so intricate and polished, so it was always really cool to watch.

      Delete
  2. I would be honored if we could have a gentleman's duel one day :)

    ReplyDelete